Sunday, March 2, 2008

OKC Sonics?

OK, just to make sure there is no confusion, I am a Lakers fan first and no one else will replace them.



Now that we have settled that, I was on ESPN.com getting my highlight fix of the ball games yesterday. (no cable, gents cry for me now!) So I came across a link about the Seattle Supersonics moving to OKC and how the Sonic fans felt about it. (Story)



Until that story I was all for the team coming here. It makes me feel like it is OK to live in OK. I have promised myself that I will go in with some friends and buy season tickets if we get them. The bond issue is up this Tuesday and I expect it to pass easily. I expect that Stern will not keep the Sonics in Seattle, and that the owner will move them here. But now, I feel like we stole a team from someone, from a bunch of someones. What would I do if someone stole the Lakers from L.A. I don't know, send hate mail to the mayor of the new city promising I will never ever visit their stinking rotten city, and that they have broken the heart of my child who is dying of cancer, who has a tumor the size of a basketball in his left lung. No, that just wouldn't be harsh enough. . .



. . .so the quandary. It looks like we are getting a basketball team and I want a basketball team, and I want to take my other three boys who are not dying from a rare form of cancer to games with me to share memories, and I am sorry that some great fans of the NBA are losing a team and their season tickets, and their children will not have father son bonding time anymore. (Dr. Phil show in 10 years?) Usually my capitalist side wins out on this type of situation, but if you know any fans, and there are some crazy fans out there (Johnson boys, Scooter,Walker) you know it is more than just a business, it is like part of the family, you feel their pain when they lose. (I still count the day Magic retired as one of my top 5 worst days of my life)



I just don't know what to do.





Tell me it's going to be OK?





P.S. To my Seattle friends. What did you expect from a state that celebrates Sooners, the thief in the night strikes again!



A not nice song to help the side of me that wants the team to leave Seattle. OK Go- Get Over It

4 comments:

Michal said...

yeah for okc! you deserve it.

Emily said...

My sister-in-law lives in Seattle, but I don't think she'll miss the team too much. Although...She did just have her first date with a guy she really likes at a Sonics-Jazz game. It might take away some memories. :)

Scooter said...

I hear you. At least it is only a professional team--the business side of it dominates anyway so it is more expected. I think the passion for college sports runs deeper in many ways and losing a college team would be that much worse. I think money has kind of ruined sports.

Just be glad you aren't getting the Pacers--a bad team AND a string of thugs that can't stay out of trouble. Double whammy. At least the Lakers compete (*grin*).

Adriann said...

KINGS BEAT LAKERS ... KINGS BEAT LAKERS ... KINGS BEAT LAKERS ...
Go Kings! Lakers will never win if they can't get past the Kings!

-Walker